Saturday, August 11, 2007

From the Mouths of Babes

I have to apologize for not having the promised pictures of the infamous belt. Unfortunatly, my batteries died before I could get a picture. It looks like we're going to Cariwest tomorrow - so I may still get the shot!

While waiting for the parade to pass by in front of us, we were sitting by a family with two young girls. One was about to start Grade 2 and the other was about to start kindergarten. They were absolutely in love with Evan. They played peek a boo with him, picked up his sippy cup when he dropped it and were helping us out with Evan.

All of a sudden the youngest says:

"He's brown and you're white. I don't get it"

hmmm...how do you explain this? It felt like everyone was staring at me, waiting for an answer. So, I knelt down to her level and said,

"You know how when you mix white paint and red paint, you get pink?"

Little girl nods.

"Well, it kind of works the same way when two people have a baby. Evan's daddy is darker than me - so our baby is a mixture of both our colours."

She seemed satisfied with that explanation. I was relieved to not have to explain any further.

3 comments:

Dallas said...

Aww...that is so cute. Great way to handle it. Good job girl!

missmarble said...

So sweet! That will be a good answer to have on hand when other kids ask - I'm sure Lily and Evan will have the same question.

Jenn said...

Sounds like you handled that well! At least it was a little kid asking, not some dumb "grownup" staring at him and saying "what is he?" I wanna punch those people out! lOL and he's not even mine- Until I steal him, that is! (o damn that was supposed to be my inside voice)